Friday, August 28, 2009

Nikon P6000 with Pocket Wizard

A lot of people are wondering about whether the Nikon P6000 supports the Pocket Wizard radio trigger system. The answer is YES. The only thing you'll have to do is to turn off the build-in flash as shown below and you'll be good to go:


(image source: johnbiehler blog)

You will then see this icon indicating that your flash is on remote-triggering mode:
Nikon P6000 with Pocket Wizard

Other than the Pocket Wizard, the P6000 also supports Nikon CLS as well as other remote triggers such as the Cactus Triggers as shown in this article on johnbiehler blog.

Nikon P6000 with Pocket Wizard

I did notice that if you turn off your built-in flash while having your Pocket Wizard on the hot shoe (turned on) the camera might not recognize the PW right away (it happened once) in M-mode so you might wanna turn off your camera and turn it back on again to use the PW with M-mode.

I haven't played with the CLS on this camera much but the original press release only stated that the SU-800 (NOT SB-800) and the SB-900 can be used as the commander so I'm not sure can the Nikon SB-800 be used for such purpose.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure SB-800 can be used as a commander for CLS. At least for my D40 with no built-in infra-red commander mode, I seem to remember it saying the SB-800 could be used as a commander (or SU-800 commander-only).

    Don't you have an SB-800 so you could just test it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I wish I did. I'll borrow it from my friend again ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, you added the pocket wizard, not so pocket size anymore, haha

    ReplyDelete